Thanh Son Bui
- 2021 - present: PhD Candidates in Chemical Engineering, University of New South Wales(UNSW Sydney), Sydney, Australia.
- 2018 - 2020: M.Eng (Research) in Environmental Engineering, University of Ulsan (UoU), Ulsan, South Korea.
- 2009 - 2014: B.Eng in Environmental Engineering, Hanoi University of Science and Technology (HUST), Hanoi, Vietnam.
Awards and Achievements:
UNSW International Postgraduate Award Scholarship (2021) awarded by UNSW.
Outstanding Student Award (2020) awarded by Brain Korea 21 Program PLUS, Korea.
AF-1 Scholarship (2018) awarded by University of Ulsan, Korea.
BK21 Plus Fellowship (2018) awarded by University of Ulsan, Korea.
Consolation Prize at “Student’s Research Symposium” (2014) by HUST, Hanoi, Vietnam.
Project title: Catalyst Design for the Alkaline Reduction of Nitrate to Ammonia
Ammonia (NH3) show great potential as a next-generation energy carrier due to its high energy density and clean emissions. Nonetheless, the downside to the existing industrial ammonia synthesis, Haber-Bosch, is the high carbon dioxide emissions and tremendous amounts of energy usage. In this context, electrochemical NH3 synthesis from nitrate reduction (NO3-RR) has recently appeared to be a promising route. This project aims to develop high-efficiency electrocatalysts via a controllable synthetic procedure for ammonia production. The identification of electrocatalytic active sites and elucidation of the reaction mechanism of NO3-RR would be in-depth investigated in this project.
- Prof. Rose Amal
- Dr. Emma Lovell
- Dr. Rahman Daiyan
List of publications:
- Bui, T. S., Bansal, P., Lee, B. K., Mahvelati-Shamsabadi, T., & Soltani, T. (2020). Facile fabrication of novel Ba-doped g-C3N4 photocatalyst with remarkably enhanced photocatalytic activity towards tetracycline elimination under visible-light irradiation. Applied Surface Science, 506, 144184.
- Bansal, P., Bui, T. S., & Lee, B. K. (2020). Potential applications of ASR fly ash in photo-Fenton like process for the degradation of tetracycline at neutral pH: Fixed-bed approach. Chemical Engineering Journal, 391, 123509.
- Nguyen-Dinh, M. T. #, Bui, T. S.#, Bansal, P., Jourshabani, M., & Lee, B. K. (2021). Photocatalytic and photo-electrochemical behavior of novel SnO2-modified-g-C3N4 for complete elimination of tetracycline under visible-light irradiation: Slurry and fixed-bed approach. Separation and Purification Technology, 267, 118607.
- Hoang, V. C. #, Bui, T. S. #, Nguyen, H. T., Hoang, T. T., Rahman, G., Le, Q. V., & Nguyen, D. L. T. (2021). Solar-driven conversion of carbon dioxide over nanostructured metal-based catalysts in alternative approaches: Fundamental mechanisms and recent progress. Environmental Research, 202, 111781.
- Nguyen-Dinh, M. T., Bui, T. S., Lee, B. K., & Masoumi, Z. (2022). Superhydrophobic MS@ CuO@ SA sponge for oil/water separation with excellent durability and reusability. Chemosphere, 292, 133328.
Linkedin Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/thanh-son-bui-2573ab195