The Practicum Exchange Program (PEP) is a non-award exchange program for overseas students who are currently enrolled in overseas university and would like to gain research experience at UNSW or fulfill the professional/industrial practice. The PEP program is generally one to six months, but maybe for a maximum of twelve months. (note: Partcat group only takes students who are willing to do PEP for a minimum of 3 months).
If you are looking at doing coursework / not looking at doing research (internship), you can consider enrolling as a Coursework Student for one or two semesters (i.e. student will need to pay course fee).
Practicum students pay AUD$1000 per semester. The application fee is AUD $330.
Are you eligible?
You must be currently enrolled in an undegraduate or postgraduate degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (or equivalent) and you must meet UNSW's English language requirements. Before you apply, you need to contact a supervisor at UNSW and agree to the terms of your research (see below on how to apply)
How to apply
Below is the step by step procedure to apply for Practicum Exchange (including CSC sponsored):
1. Applicants contact UNSW academics to find a suitable supervisor and negotiates start and finish dates for their practicum.
2. If an academic agrees to supervise the student under the Practicum Exchange Program, the academic must email email@example.com with the full name, email address and home university of the student. The student will then be set up with access to the online application.
3. If the application is approved, the Study Abroad and Student Exchange Office will send out the letter of acceptance to the student and supervisor.
4. The student will need to organise OSHC insurance if coming on a student visa and send the receipt to the Global Education Office.
5. The Study Abroad and Student Exchange Office will confirm receipt and send Confirmation of Enrolment to the student.
6. The student can then organise the appropriate visa for their stay in Australia.
Postgraduate practicums of less than three months in duration will be accepted as Junior Visiting Research Fellows through existing Human Resources processes (HR20). UNSW does not charge the student any fees for this service.